Sunday, July 25, 2010

"Well, the first thing is that I love monsters, I identify with monsters." - Guillermo del Toro



Guillermo del Toro is easily one of my favorite directors. He always manages to take dark material and infuse it with a certain fantastical charm that never fails to entertain. Pan's Labyrinth was a terrific dark fairy tale, where the struggle of the Spanish Civil War was mirrored by a world of fauns and fairies. Hellboy remains one of my favorite comic book movies because it succeeds in combining comedy and action while retaining a very dark, almost Lovecraftian feel. Blade II was fun, loud, and fast paced; all the qualities I look for in an action movie.

Apparently I'm a little late on this, but del Toro co-wrote and released the first of a trilogy of books in 2009 entitled "The Strain", which promises to tackle the weighty issue of vampires in NYC. I'm a little sick of hearing about vampires, but I have to admit my interest is piqued after listening to del Toro talk(see link below). It should be a fun read at the very least. Just take a look at that charming fellow up there, if GDT could come up with that, I have no problem believing he can take vampires and make them interesting again.

">

4 comments:

  1. I Agree, IM SICK OF VAMPIRES AND ZOMBIES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vampires in NYC? Yes, please. The fashion capitol of the world and the most fashionable monster. I alway thought Chanel was made for vampires...or vice versa. I'll keep this book in mind. ^_^ I'm currently reading Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk.

    I've seen that first picture all over the internet. I didn't know it was related to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing fashionable about these vampires lol. Their necks splay open to allow a "stinger" to emerge which creates an incision in their victim's neck.

    How's Pygmy so far?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah. Nice. A lack of romanticized vampires. A rarity these days I suppose. Lincoln: Vampire Hunter also had vampires that actually acted like monsters. I saw a picture of Anne Rice. She's mad old. x_x I thought she was some 30 year old. She's been in love with vampires for a long time.

    Pygmy is a respectable detachment from modern prose. It's written in Engrish since the narrator is foreign. You're not missing much if you don't read this book. There a part of the book where I thought contained one of the finest piece of writing. The book is about this kid from a communist country who comes to America as a foreign exchange student. He sodomizes an American bully on his first day in the country.

    "Electric-bolt eyes of bully bleeding water. Blue star of fighting anus leak blood into thin stripes down white legs. Everywhere patriotic. Here so great American nation."

    That's hatred right there described with the best use of metaphors.

    I picked up this book because...I kind of have an interest in communism? Haha..as you can see from my current blog post. I wanted to read anything related to it. A totally superficial interest.

    ReplyDelete