Thursday, July 29, 2010

Remarkably Unremarkable.


I must have a really generic looking face. Every time a stranger talks to me I know I'm going to get compared to someone. Today I got compared to a customer's doctor. As she was telling me that I looked just like her doctor I decided I would compile a list of every person I've been informed I resemble.
  • Daniel Radcliffe
  • Elijah Wood
  • Joaquim Phoenix
  • Salvador Dali
  • Salma Hayek (idk lol)
  • Bear Grylls
  • Gary Sinise
  • Michael Cera
  • Mark Mothersbaugh (lead singer of Devo)
  • Seth from the OC (I had to look that one up. I don't see it at all)
  • Tobey Maguire
  • Napoleon Dynamite
  • Some random Russian pop star I never got the name of.
  • And lastly, random customer's doctor.
Basically, I look like any nerdy looking dude with glasses. Which doesn't surprise me, because that sounds like me.

In unrelated news, I finished reading The Strain. It started off slow, but eventually picked up. It was a fast read and the writing was solid. One thing that bothered me involved a CDC researcher dumping potentially dangerous chemicals of unknown identity down a sink. There were some very memorable scenes and the vampires were feral, bloodthirsty, pale monstrosities. Just the way I like 'em. Overall, it's a decent read that isn't without its faults.

I've already started reading Catcher In the Rye. I'm not really enjoying the writing style. I understand he's writing as if it's Holden Caulfield's diary, but I just wish he could come up with a few more adjectives other than "goddam". It doesn't help that all of the characters are douchebags. All that said, the book has introduced me to a new phrase that has become a welcome part of my vernacular. That phrase would be "give her the time". Thanks, Salinger!

3 comments:

  1. Dali? That's it. You must grow his mustache now.

    Catcher in the Rye. I heard it's really whiney. I was at the 5th Avenue Presbyterian Church and the pastor (female!) based her sermon on Salinger and his works. Haha. xD Only in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't tempt me!

    Catcher in the Rye is SO whiney. I don't mind a little "woe is me melodrama", but I have my limits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to know that anarchy isn't just among the 15 year olds.

    I can see the appeal of the Spanish Civil War...I always thought that anarchy was a myth and here is an example.

    ReplyDelete