Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Because Rambling is Fun.



First things first, I can't get enough of this song. The song feels so happy, yet the lyrics are so depressing. Too bad I'm working on the 21st; the day they're playing in Brooklyn. In more music related happenings, The xx are still dominating my last.fm charts this week. I can't wait to see them this Sunday.

I can't decide what I want to read next, The Grapes of Wrath or Don Quixote. I wish I knew enough Spanish to read it in its original form. Speaking of spanish, I'm hoping I can at least speak it conversationally by the time I graduate. I'd love to visit Spain, especially Valencia. http://www.spanish-living.com/palaces-museums-galleries-spain/city-arts-and-science-valencia

Lastly, I'm almost done with a short story. Unfortunately, I can't seem to write dialogue to save my life, and I think I'm glossing over too many specifics as I write it. Oh well.

7 comments:

  1. The Grapes of Wrath was nothing short of a terrible experience when I was supposed to read in in 11th grade AP English. However, I think you might like it... If you actually read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "when I was supposed to read it" made me laugh. idk, so far I've heard that it's amazing and that it's torture.
    I think I'll go with Don Quixote first only because I've read a few other Steinbeck novels already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what I think you should read, if you haven't already, "In Cold Blood." Changed my life.

    I used to write a lot in high school but ever since I started college, I feel like I've run out of steam...and ideas. If I wasn't doing pharmacy, I might be a creative writing major. Totally useless..thus pharmacy school.

    Speaking of a happy/depressing song, listen to this song about rape and abortion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C17yfGyJjM

    ReplyDelete
  4. When writing stories I find myself, at least in my humble opinion, in a more inspired position to write dialogue than the actual connecting bits. The narrative tone is something I have to get used to and practice over a dozen short stories.
    - Paulie V "gewktastic"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine,
    I'll definitely check out "In Cold Blood". When someone tells me a book changed their life it tends to jump to the top of my "to read list".

    I also wrote a lot more in high school. Unfortunately, none of it was ever original, or creative and pharmacy makes me feel like a robot at times with all the memorization. So that's why I'm trying to write more creatively now.

    This song is pretty entertaining. The chorus is catchy, and I find it funny that she's so fixated on her letter to Oasis while discussing all this depressing shit. I guess that's the point though lol.


    Paul,
    I find it funny that you're the exact opposite of me when it comes to writing. I seriously can't write dialogue. It comes off reading like an extension of my description of the story. Plus, if I try to make it feel more natural, the dialogue is TOO natural. Hopefully I'll get better at it as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good. Read it. Then we have to talk about it and you can appreciate the Capote biopic. >=)

    Have you read Stephen King's On Writing? He talking about the subject of writing and how he goes about it. He's pretty funny about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it's funny you mention On Writing. I forget exactly what I was looking for on google, but that popped up and I skimmed through it a bit the other day. I haven't read it in full though.

    ReplyDelete