Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sing Macabre Songs and We'll Dance 'Til Dawn

We're halfway through October. The air's getting colder and Halloween is fast approaching. That means only one thing, I get to make the most kick-ass playlist ever.

1. Misfits- Dig Up Her Bones. Yeah, yeah the Misfits aren't the Misfits without Danzig. Although I prefer Danzig era stuff as a whole, this is probably my favorite Misfits song.

2. Bauhaus- Dark Entries. It's Bauhaus, one of the most important 80's goth bands. Peter Murphy is some sort of weird cross between David Bowie and the Count from Sesame Street. Perfect.

3. My Chemical Romance- The Ghost of You. Ghosts. Lost love. Yeah, this song belongs here.

4. Christian Death- Deathwish. More 80's goth/deathrock. This song always reminded me of the Smashing Pumpkins, which is also an activity that you can really only do on Halloween. ohohoho so funny.

5. Type O Negative- Wolf Moon. A song about menstrual blood turning the protagonist into a werewolf.

6. Cradle of Filth- Nymphetamine. A lot of people seem to have trouble admitting they like this band. A lot of people take themselves too seriously.

7. Emilie Autumn- Liar. "I want to mix our blood and put it in the ground, so you will never leave."

8. I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness- Last Ride Together. "All of your friends are now ghosts". Joy Division with a hint of The Cure and some Interpol thrown in for good measure.

9. Lady Gaga- Monster. This one seems self explanatory.

10. My Bloody Valentine- Loveless. So ethereal, yet so harsh. This song just feels like autumn to me.

11. Neutral Milk Hotel- Two-headed Boy. I can't think of a reason for this to be here, other than the title. But, I like it so it stays. MY LIST, MY RULES.

12. Nine Inch Nails- Reptile. She splits herself wide open to let the insects in. The version with Peter Murphy on vocals is even more "Halloween".

13. Oingo Boingo- Dead Man's Party. This one is obvious without even going into the whole Danny Elfman Tim Burton connection. The man sang as Jack Skellington, what more do you want?

14. Rasputina- Transylvanian Concubine. Looking forward to seeing this live on the 23rd.

15. Revolting Cocks- Hookerbot3000. I don't know if robotic hookers are Halloween material, but I think it would be an interesting costume. Plus, the song makes me laugh.

16. Sex Gang Childre- Sebastiane. Invader Zim decided he wanted to do vocals for an 80's goth band and I have no problem with that.

17. She Wants Revenge- Out of Control. This band seems like such a by the numbers approximation of a goth/indie/post-punk band, yet they still sound amazingly fresh to me. Can't get enough.

18. Siouxsie- Into a Swan. It's goddamn Siouxsie, no explanation will be given.

19. Skinny Puppy- Dig It. Watch just about any live clip of theirs, it's a horror show set to music.

20. The Birthday Massacre- Lovers End. "In the cellar buried six feet deep
The lover's shaken from a dreamless sleep
Nails clawing splinters from the ceiling and floor
Shrieking like the witches 'til his stitches are sore"

21. The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets- Power Up. A song about would-be superheroes. The lyrics remind me of Kick-Ass and Watchmen. Fun stuff.

22. The Sisters of Mercy- Lucretia My Reflection. I enjoy the name Lucretia. It helps that Andrew Eldritch has the perfect voice for this type of thing.

23. White Zombie- More Human Than Human. What Halloween would be complete without White Zombie?

24. Clutch- Day of the Jackalope. A jackalope is described in American folklore as a jackrabbit with the antlers of a deer.
"Well, my senses are sharpened
I'm half in the bag
I got a Cheshire smile and
A five cent rag." Neil Fallon has never written a lyric I didn't like.

25. Type O Negative- All Hallows Eve. This is THE Halloween song. Man loses love so he decides to learn an ancient spell and make a pact with the devil to try and bring her back. Mentions of pumpkins, howls, screams and other Halloweeny things. It also kind of reminds me of The Corpse Bride, but in reverse.

Be-spiderwebbed and glazed in frost
She wears death beautifully
More stunning now than in her life
On a bed of Autumn leaves

Into her eyes and quite surprised
I whispered "Don't you leave"
Sing macabre songs and we'll dance 'til dawn
On All Hallows Eve.


Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment